Nelson Mandela became South Africa’s first democratically elected president in 1994. As a champion of reconciliation, he was instrumental in the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. Before his presidency, Mandela was heavily involved in anti-apartheid activities. He served 27 years in prison, many of which were spent with other sentenced freedom fighters. [Supplied by MandelaMonth2019]
What can you do for Mandela Month?
There are many activities in and around our Community that neighbours can participate in on 18 July as part of Mandela Day.
Here are some other ideas on how you can contribute:
- Contact your local HIV organisation and find out how you can help.
- Help out at your local hospice.
- Many terminally ill people have no friends or family who can visit them. Take a little time to have a chat and find out what they need.
- Donate toys to the children's ward at your local hospital.
- Tutor kids in school subject you are good at.
- Donate your old computer or books to a school.
This website, associated newsletter and Facebook page are privately owned and operated. We are independent of the Harfield Village Association (HVA) and any other groups or organizations. All data collected is owned by Norgarb Properties.
We are sponsored by NORGARB PROPERTIES who consistently put back generously into the local community. Other such initiatives sponsored by Norgarb are the annual street carnival, fun map of the area, monthly newsletters and regular Facebook posts. They are now in the process of introducing a free delivery/ lift service in their fun tuk tuk's (AKA Indian taxi's).
This site serves to do the following:
• Keep locals up to speed with news and events
• Offer a quick way to find a business/restaurant/service in the area
• Promote and support the local business community and services
• Educate visitors about the area, including the fascinating history thereof
• Promote the village as a destination
We also offer and encourage the use of:
• Monthly Newsletters (6000 + subscribers). Click here to subscribe or here to see previous mailers
• Our Community Facebook page
• Advertising on our business directory pages (FREE) *sponsor a prize for our monthly lucky draw
• Advertising on our various additional platforms. Click here to read more
• The downloading and use of the VoiceMap tour of Harfield Village. Read more here.